Sunday, August 10, 2008

Why Germany?

A post back to a friend who asked about our chosen place of residence: Germany.

Thanks for such kind words. My family is truly great. They've changed my life forever. I recently took vacation from work while Tamara and our oldest, Shantal, went to the U.S. Boy, did I miss the kids when I went back to work.

Why Germany is a question I ask myself pretty much everyday. It still seems like such a crazy thing to have done, as we have made a complete transfer to this country (we're not "expats" with paid trips to the U.S. every year, international schools, etc.). We are planning on returning to the U.S., but the when, how, and where do we land in the U.S. are all very open questions. We would like to return in the summer of 2013.

My desire to live and work in Germany started while I served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (90-92). After returning to the U.S. the desire only intensified. The movie link at the end of the message captures pretty well the love one develops for the area where you serve.



The movie referred to is The Best Two Years, which captures a few months of one missionary's service and it's affect on his companion, himself, and those he taught.

1 comment:

lytha said...

i'm really enjoying your blog and wanted to say that i began my life in germany on a mission too.

i have a why germany in the side bar of my blog if you'd like to see the details.

it is full of lovely pictures from my homestate so that people will understand why i'm homesick.

but it is not all bad, living here. we have a real house!

~lytha