Saturday, August 16, 2008

date mich up

This is a new German word. A verb, actually, that I heard in the hallway today. If you know German, you are already laughing. If you only know English, then replace the mich with me and you have
date me up

Since "date me up" doesn't make any sense in English I'll provide some more common English phrases include "update me"; "send me an update"; "get back to me with an update"; "provide me with the update"; "keep me up to date" or in slang "give me the latest [as soon as you have it]".

The English word update has already made it into the German language according to the online translation dictionary that I use at work, but only as a noun. The noun is used very commonly in business German, especially in Information Technology where I work. But I do not recall having heard the German verb form of update.

It struck me funny because of what happens in English if you directly translate the words.

1 comment:

Holistic Welnesz said...

Its funny. You mean update became date me up. Ha Ha.