Thursday, August 7, 2008

In Search of the Perfect Hamburger Bun

So, we've been in Germany for a while, and when Tamara recently placed hamburgers on the menu (I take the veggie version due to my persnickety and often peeved pancreas) I was quite excited, until I started dealing with the bun.

Why does the bun matter. I can't explain it, it just does. And, so these two small complaints, though piddly have been getting me out of sorts the last few days as I ate the veggie burgers and the subsequent leftovers.

I looked at Kulturvergleiche's blog, but didn't find a comparison on this topic.

Here are my complaints.

Number one - huge buns (from one store). I have to cut almost half of the bun off in order to enjoy eating the hamburger (I circle cut the bun so it is simply smaller in diameter - going in half didn't really work).

Number two - unsliced buns (from all stores). the buns are unsliced. that means you have to cut the buns in half in order to make a hamburger bun. For me this results in uneven top and bottom slices of bread - for instance a concave bottom and an obtuse top.

2 comments:

Bek said...

Like always, I don't even think about writing the most ovious differences like bread.

My husband actually likes to use Kaiserrolls for our veggie burgers - sometimes the patties are just too big here for the regular hamburger buns.

Gardner said...

@bek
Good point on the veggie burgers. They don't get smaller with cooking.

The smaller buns here in Germany were still big enough for the veggie burgers.