Sunday, August 3, 2008

Back from Prague

To answer the question: Is Prague in the GPS? - Yes. Is the rest of the Czech Republic in the GPS? - Not so much. This made our trip down to Prague more entertaining than it already was - the kids were not happy to be back in the car again, and Tamara and I were pretty stressed out as it was.

What happened was that the main freeway running from Dresden to Usti Nad Labem (A17 in Germany) was not in the GPS. So the GPS kept telling us to exit the freeway and commonly showed us driving through lakes, and through the grass (green background instead of on a road). The A17 freeway looked new, but not that new. Once we got close to Prague and of course in Prague itself, the GPS performed beautifully.

The back-roading (according to the GPS) reminded me of my favorite parts of driving video games when I was a kid - going off the road when you are not supposed to. I used to see how long I could stay off road before the game died. I guess that was my first clue that I would someday go into software testing (my current role with my software consultancy). Unfortunately I'm testing telecom ordering systems and not video games, but . . . it's still testing.

No comments: