Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Switching Language Gears

We have made the switch to being an English family. An English speaking family. Why is this significant? Here's the reader's digest version.
  • Starting in late 2001 early 2002 in Colorado we began teaching our children (3 at the time) German. We did this at weekly German Afternoons (deutsche Stunde). We would read a german book (amazon.de) or sing a german song, or look at pictures and discuss them in German. Our oldest, Shantal, was 4 years old.
  • Starting in the fall of 2003 in Wisconsin (Shantal was turning 6) after attending a German playgroup for German speaking children (mostly with German parents) we chose to have me speak German to the children full time. We continued teaching the children songs and reading books with them and added movies (Die Monster AG) was the first movie we got. The kids were more interested in the Bo's Door game on the DVD than the movie, but it was a start.
  • In 2004 we hosted a German Nanny for 3 months (real live people from this strange country showed up at our house. Nothing strange about the country for us as we had already lived there. But for our children German and the German language was very foreign. Hosting a nanny and the exchange students really helped our kids.)
  • In the school year 2004-2005 we hosted a German exchange student
  • In the school year 2005-2006 we hosted our 2nd German exchange student
  • In 2005 our 4th child was born. I have always spoken German with her.
  • In 2006 our 5th child was born. I have always spoken German with him.
  • 3 weeks after the birth of our 5th child we moved to Germany. I continued speaking German with the little ones and went back and forth with the school aged children (sometimes German, sometimes English). I kept leaning towards German.
Fast forward to June, 2008 and we find that our children's German grade worsened from 2007 to 2008 (Shantal's worsened significantly). I wondered what to do.

In unrelated news we took Spencer to a speech therapist for a swallowing problem. She noticed that the children made some mistakes in their German. She asked what language we speak at home. I told her that I spoke German and my wife spoke English. She said it is best for foreigners to let their children learn German from the German school system and their natural surroundings. That way they don't inherit our mistakes.

Tamara and I decided to switch back to being an English family. Obviously when we are with friends, we will speak German. When we are touring the countryside we'll have to see what makes the most sense, depending upon the situation.

I believe this is a move in the right direction. It was a little tough for me and I'm sure Emma will have some adjustment issues, but overall I think it best.

4 comments:

Jul said...

Wow! Very interesting to hear the history of all that. I can't imagine what it would be like to switch family languages like that.

So where did you learn your German? I assume you were pretty fluent to start with if you were speaking it with your children before even moving to Germany.

G in Berlin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
G in Berlin said...

-edited for a spelling error;)-
I find that very amusing and very typically German that she should say that. Germans also do not allow home schooling (it is illegal) and strongly discourage working with your children at home to help with reading or writing, as well as starting children very late in school (it's gradually being moved back from 7 to 6 for 1st grade school entry and kindergarted is really pre-school, not our kindergarten).
Not that I think this should be a problem (your speaking English at home). Of course, since I speak terrible German, I always speak English at home and now my husband (mother tongue German) is being more careful about speaking German at home. I don't think the girls are at school long enough to actually pick up German. also wonder whether this woman would have said the same thing to a Turkish family that was speaking (flawed) German at home and I think it's a bit of an indicator of racism: something I see a lot of in a quite blatant and yet naive way. (That is, what? That's racist?)

Gardner said...

@jul: Tamara and I served for 18 and 24 months respectively as missionaries of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Germany (Duesseldorf was the headquarters of our mission and the area where we now live and work). I then studied German (minor in business) at Brigham Young University.

@g in berlin: I think the reason I accepted the advice of the speech therapist - was to admit to myself and to my kids that we need help in mastering this language. And to show that we will get the help only by reaching out to those around us. We have not "arrived" in our German skills. That was hard for me to admit to myself.

Naturally this was not my first reaction. I felt brushed off and a lot like an unwanted foreigner. But, I am glad we made the decision. I have seen benefits for me already. I believe it will be the best choice for the kids.