Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Magic of Flowers

This morning Hannah and I pulled a fast one on Spencer. It was a lot of fun.

Background. A few months ago when we were planning summer activities Hannah wanted to go to a day camp - but not alone. Not in a million years alone. I asked Spencer to go along with her. He somewhat reluctantly said yes listening to his big brother instinct. They got signed up for the day camp and everything was ready to go.

About a week ago I talked to Hannah about Spencer going with her and how he was doing his duty as a big brother and that it was very nice of Spencer to go with her. I asked Hannah what we could do for Spencer to thank him for helping her? We decided on flowers (the Aldi 1.99 € flowers).

I didn't get to the flowers last night due to a trip into the city and so I had to do some fast thinking this morning. I offered to take Spencer and Hannah to the activity (instead of them riding the bus). That would put them their earlier I told Spencer. Hannah and I knew the other half of the plan - operation flowers.

So, we all got ready, got in the car. We read in the scriptures on the way to taking Emma to Kindergarten. We've done this a couple of times when we just didn't have time at home. Emma thought it was horrible that the other kids stayed in the car. The Kindergarten teacher swooped Emma away in her arms (despite Emma's terrifying screaming). Great lady. She told me in the afternoon that Emma was fine after a half an hour and then was fine the rest of the day. She said if I wait with Emma and try and calm her down for 15 minutes, then Emma will still cry when I leave. So, make it quick. Great lady.

Well back to the kids. Spencer kept reading in the scriptures and found a spot where some people and many families decided leave their own country to go into the north countries. I said that is like us Spencer - we also decided to leave our homeland. Why do you think the people did this? I asked Spencer. He said because it was too crowded, or they wanted a better life. I don't know what I said, but Spencer then said "but it was probably the parents who wanted to go and not the kids."

By then we had made it to Aldi. Hannah and I went inside and turned in some bottles for a deposit of 3 €. We then picked out the 1.99 flowers - yellow roses. Not a bad choice for a seven year old girl. We paid quickly and hid them behind the bad on the way to the car. Spencer opened the door and asked - "what did you buy?" - his tone indicated that he was a peeved that he had to stay with Ian and that Hannah got to go in and buy something.

Hannah pulled back the bag and revealed the flowers. He said what? We said for you. From Hannah for going to the day camp with her. He was touched from what I could tell. Not sure if he said thank you, but his demeanor changed to one of excitement.

From there I had to stop off at home for a bathroom break (and to put the flowers in water as I was running errands in the morning). While I was inside the house Hannah and Spencer played wonderfully together. I came back and they were totally happy together.

I then dropped the kids off at the activity center. And they were early, which Spencer really wanted. I hope the day went well. It was an outdoor event and it rained quite a bit today. Off and on, but I still thought about the kids a lot. They did have a great start to the day thanks to the magic of flowers.

No comments: