Saturday, July 5, 2008

Conversations on This Side of the Pond - Hannah

Like Tamara, I've also had some interesting conversations with the kids during the past week and a half.

Hannah. This has been an ongoing discussion over several days. Most have occurred in the car.
Hannah asked me why her last name is Wheeler and not Johnson. I said that is the tradition in our culture.

A car trip or two later she said she doesn't like the name Wheeler because she is always last in school. I know the feeling, and was always glad someone named wilson, young, zelinski, williams, wolf, white, or a wright. Occasionally I wasn't last. She said she wished she had mom's original last name (i.e., maiden name).

On a subsequent trip Hannah asked me who she would marry. And, if she would have to take the man's name to be her own. I said that is the tradition in our culture. She asked if she could marry Spencer? I said that is not possible. She said then it would be easy because she would keep her last name - Wheeler and not have to have a new last name.

Round 4. Hannah asked me how she would know who to marry. I didn't have a chance to go to answer this one due to some emergency (two little kids causes that to happen). I think I said someone who you like, who understands you, who you can play well together with. She said - like Spencer? I said yes. For now I told her just to find boys who are fun to play with and not to worry too much about the bigger question of a future husband for now. Just learn to play with boys a bit.

Next trip around Hannah said she had now figured out how finding a husband works and proceeded to explain to me how it works. She said - in grade school you are just friends, or classmates. Once you are a teenager, you start to like boys, maybe even having a boyfriend. Then after school you start to get serious and have a boyfriend. Then after college you decide to get married and settle down (or, something similar to that - the explanation went really fast).

3 comments:

Bek said...

Wow! She has it all figured out:)

Maria said...

LOL! She's on to something. I hyphenated after hubby was upset that I didn't want to change my name. Maybe she'll keep Wheeler forever. :) Oh, and when I was her age and through my teen years, I always said I would marry someone "up" in the alphabet so I could stop being last in line. LOL!

Gardner said...

Thanks for the great comments.

Yeah, Hannah's got it all figured out. It's cool to hear the kids' thought processes and see them learn.

And moving 'up' in the alphabet is a good way to describe that. I was always happy when a teacher did 'reverse' alphabetical order. Then I wasn't last for a week, or a day, or something.