Sunday, June 15, 2008

Playing some Half Court

Half Court Soccer that is.

Holy Cow! I thought I new the sport of soccer enough to play a little bit, at least against some nine and ten year olds. On the real soccer field I was doing alright today when Spencer's team held its end of the year party and the parents played against the boys.

But, when we played half court soccer (my term translated from half court basketball) I was totally lost. I've seen people playing soccer at one end of the field before, many times in fact. I always imagined this would be like playing half court basketball, which is the same as full court basketball with not as much running, only one goal, and the teams trade who is on offense. Wow, was I wrong. Half court soccer was much different than I expected. There was no take back line, I ending up guarding people on my team a couple of times (could have been the German), there were corner kicks and end line kicks from the goalie, but I couldn't tell when it should be a corner kick and when it should be a goalie kick, because I couldn't tell who was on offense and who was defense, or how you switched from defense to offense (no take back line from what I could tell).

That's a bit of rambling, but partially due to my level of confusion. At any rate it was fun to be out among the other parents and with the kids in the program, and of course with Spencer.

No comments: