Saturday, June 7, 2008

3 hour commute

Bah, I hate the three hour daily round trip commute. That's, for those non-math majors, 1.5 hours each way. This evening it was almost two hours. I am at a new location and I don't have the bus/tram schedule memorized and I chose the wrong bus tonight. It cost me another 45 minutes. And I'm carrying my laptop back and forth to work almost every day. Along the other reading materials I take along, my bag is quite heavy. And I used to have a half hour train ride with no transfers necessary. Now I have 15 min. street car, 20 min. train. It's not as relaxing a commute. I'm sure I'll adjust to the new environment over time, but today was frustrating.

Then on top of it I was reading a document for work on the bus/tram and train that I could barely understand. Turns out I was reading the technical specifications prior to the business specifications. This is like reading a new language as half the words are module, table, or system name references. Weeding that out is tough at first when you aren't familiar with the modules, tables, and systems in the system landscape.

I realized towards the end of my journey that there is a business (read human) version of the specifications. It just starts half-way through the document. Seems a bit backwards. At any rate. Enough venting for one night.

Speaking of new languages I'll have some updates on international business English over the next few days and weeks.

1 comment:

Scott said...

When I drove from Provo to salt lake for 5 months my commute was about 1.25 hours each way and on bad days it was 2 hours. It was miserable I feel your pain. Good luck