Friday, June 27, 2008

Emma's Big Day

Wow! What a day for Emma - she went to the bathroom on the toilet for the first time. This is through no doing of my own. It was all through the Kindergarten (pre-school) she attends. The teacher suggested it would be better not to have such a wet diaper since she is staying until 2 p.m. and eating lunch at pre-school. What a great teacher.

I am glad Emma has a spot at this Kindergarten where the teachers already knows us. We actually saw the main teacher Frau G. while the kids were playing in the village fountain yesterday. We had a quick talk and it was very nice. When I told her about playing Mr. Mom and my apprehensions - she said - rubbish. Men run the household differently, but the kids enjoy it, and if a few things slip, that will be O.K.. Be happy, and don't sweat the small things. She also offered to let Emma stay until 2 p.m. and eat lunch at Kindergarten, and to have Hannah come to visit the Kindergarten, and gave me some names for people Emma could play with.

By the way, the 2 p.m. thing has been great because being a mom sure wears me out. I took naps both days.

Now, as if going tinkle on the toilet wasn't enough (aufs Töpfchen gehen) Emma's big sister Hannah also got to visit the Kindergarten (pre-school) today because she is on summer break. I'm sure Hannah helped Emma on the toilet. During their school holidays siblings can come and spend a day in Kindergarten. Hannah was glad to see Frau G again. I asked Hannah if she liked school or Kindergarten better? She said she would like to do school one day, then Kindergarten the next. I can relate to that.

And, if that wasn't the greatest day ever, then just imagine how Emma felt when, after the Kindergarten, she had a play date with a friend who lives about 5 houses up from the Kindergarten. We tried to have a play date yesterday, but Emma didn't understand the timing of the play date and when the other girl's mom went to get Emma out of the car, she started crying and refused to leave. We (the other mom & I) decided another time would be better. But, Emma thought we were going home, saying hi to Ian, and then going on the play date. She kept talking about the play date all throughout the afternoon. This continued this morning after waking up and of course after the Kindergarten she asked if she was going on the play date.

So, Hannah, Emma and I went and asked if the girl could play today. She and her cousin (who is in Hannah's class at school) were able to play. I came back at 5 p.m. and the kids were still have a grand old time. It was good that Hannah was there with Emma the first time for a play date. Then Emma doesn't worry as much. She was tired when I picked her up (I had to force her into the car seat) & she hungry when we got home - she ate several snack items and dinner too.

I think I'll arrange a play date with the girl's mom, so that I don't pick up Emma, but she just goes home with the friend. Then she won't have time to think about staying with dad.

I didn't even have time to celebrate with Emma because of all the other activities. I think I'm supposed to get her an Überraschungsei (according to Hannah), but Aldi doesn't have them in the summer. We'll see what I can do tomorrow.

Ah yes tomorrow. Tomorrow is another big day. We are going with friends to a water and amusement park near the Dutch border called Irrland. Hope I don't forget the swimsuits. And I hope Ian and Emma don't poop in the one swim diaper I have for each of them. Does Aldi have swim diapers? I doubt it.

1 comment:

Tamara Wheeler said...

OMG, I missed that? What a big girl Emma is. I hope she does it again. How great would it be if she was all done (potty trained) when I got home.

About the Surprise egg.....there are a few in the top cupboard behind the kitchen door. I was saving them for a rainy day. And I did see some at real in Ratingen before I left.

Miss you all.