Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Square Dance Music

I finally found how to get some good country music in Germany. O.K., not sure about good, but it sure brought back some memories from Ricks College, when I was first introduced to such songs as Achy Breaky Heart, Boot Scootin Boogie, and No One Else On Earth. I got a CD with 40 songs (many of which I've heard before) from Amazon.de for only 6,68 € (roughly $10.50).

I ordered square dance music for an upcoming activity we are sponsoring with Shantal's class at school: a Daddy Daughter Dance at our house. This is a type of activity I miss from the states and from my congregation growing up. And since we have chosen life here in the German Democratic Republic for now, my only hope for having such an activity is to bring the activity here.

In order to make it unique or interesting for the German parents and kids, we've made square dancing the main attraction (we did a flag football superbowl in February for Spencer and boys in his class). This was a suggestion from one of the parents in the class and since all American children learn the dance in grade school, we thought it would be fit well.

I'm really looking forward to the activity with Shantal. We practiced some moves last night. I found some software that allows you to choreograph a dance routine (Face Corner, Allemande, Dosado, etc.). After choreographing the dance routine, the software will play the routine for you. This was extremely helpful, because I have not square danced since I was in grade school.

We are planning on inviting some friends over to practice - they have two boys and two girls in their family (mom, dad, boy, girl). That way we'll have nine people (eight dancers and a caller) and we can practice teaching someone other than our family and see what will and won't work.

It should be a good time. I hope several girls come. There are 10 girls (including Shantal) in the class.

1 comment:

OkoSanto said...

I suppose you mean the Federal Republic of Germany? The German Democratic Republic ceased to exist long before this weblog was started (I think) ;) .

Have fun dancing!