Thursday, November 13, 2008

Shantal speaks with an American Accent

Shantal has had a much different experience with the German language when compared to the other children. She knew English really well and loved English before we moved to Germany. She had just started the 3rd grade in America when we left in 2006.

At any rate, she now speaks German flawlessly I would say. She speaks German with a very nice German accent and does well in the German school system.

The other day she was speaking German with an American accent for fun, to make fun of the typical American accent. I'm not even sure how she learned to do this - I'm guessing that she learned it listening to new missionaries in our congregation speak German, or mom and dad speak German - our accents are still noticeably English. She did it quite well, which caught me off guard - because thought I only adults would be able to do such a thing. Very impressive.

Anyway, I found it quite amusing and I recalled sitting in church one Sunday when a new missionary introduced himself. Shantal and I just chuckled a bit as we listened to his strong American accent come through in his German.

No comments: