Friday, July 30, 2010

Hannah's English (from Tamara)

This is a conversation between Tamara and Hannah that Tamara told me about a few weeks ago:

Just got Hannah's Report Card. She got a 1 (which is an A) in English. The teacher wrote, that Hannah can understand words and Sentences as well as Speak words and Sentences. It made me laugh. I said out loud, "I sure hope so". Then I asked Hannah if her English Teacher knows she is American. Hannah did not think so. That made me laugh even more.

Hannah's response is....she knows English well enough she could BE the teacher. :)

Tamara informed me later that the teacher is certainly aware of Hannah's ability and naturally proposed that Hannah not worry about such comparisons between her and the teacher.

8 comments:

PapaScott said...

Heh, our son was only 2nd best in his 4th grade English class. First was a classmate from Nigeria. And our son got docked points for insisting American English is more correct than British English. :-)

Expats Again said...

Our son, from Australia, insisted that his spelling was the "correct" spelling when attending school in
America--he got docked points too!

Gardner said...

Languages are certainly entertaining. It takes a lot of getting used to that is for sure.

Anonymous said...

My son was picked to choose the word for "hangman" in English. He chose hiccough (British English spelling of hiccup). Of course nobody guessed it... and the teacher told him he'd spelled it wrong. Well... at least until she'd looked it up in the dictionary, that is...

He also reckons "rhythm" is a sure-fire winner for hangman, because everyone guesses the vowels first.

Gardner said...

That is funny. Hangman in school to help learn english. I'm horrible at hangman. I'll have to ask my kids if they have played it yet.

lytha said...

my favorite hangman winner: sasquatsch.

and now that i understand german, i understand why some people do not believe in this creature.

Josh Marden said...

Hi, I run josh-in-germany.blogspot.com, and I really enjoy reading about your life in germany, I'm an english exchange student, here for a year and I sympathise with anyone who has to learn this crazy language. I can also relate to lots of what is written here.

Gardner said...

@Josh - enjoy your time in Germany. It might be a once in a lifetime chance!
Your blog looks quite nice - the snow sliding was quite entertaining.