Friday, November 6, 2009

Shantal Learning about English and Love

Shantal saw the post about Spencer learning English today and said. Hey, why didn't you write about my English test? I said I didn't write about it because you just got it back this week, silly!

She did well on her test, but the children still made fun of her for getting a B+. One translation was as follows:
Ich habe einen Hund.
I have got a dog.

I told her she could leave the "got" out of the sentence. She said, no I can't. The teacher said I must use got. She then said - it sounds a little funny to me, but that's what I have to do. I'm guessing it's British, but I don't no much about that version of English.

Oh, and Shantal told me she got a note from a boy today. It turned out to be her first love letter. A boy gave her a note with the words "I heart you" on it. She seemed impressed, but not like she wanted to return the affection. I was glad about that.

8 comments:

G in Berlin said...

That would be incorrect British English. I would complain to the teacher and get that reversed myself, but I had some terrible experiences with my older daughter's English (British) tests.
Word- rants. Very funny and very appropriate!

heather in europe said...

I asked the British boyfriend on this one, he would say "I have got a dog" or more often: "i've got a dog". My English student had the same experience with the British focused English taught in Germany.

Gardner said...

I think it is more about learning how to do it so the current teacher is happy. They are the one who give out the grades. Shantal seems to have found that out already. Her brother Spencer, who also just moved into 5th grade is still learning this. Hopefully he'll catch on soon.

G in Berlin said...

I have philosophical problems with teachers being able to mark my children wrong for correct usage and spelling. I have no problems with correcting teachers and I have no fear of them. My mom's a teacher, lots of reatives are, and I had loads of terrible ones, so I know the difference. If your children regurgitate what specific teachers want rather than what is correct, they will have future issues. I have heard of this issue, with German teachers not knowing correct English, or requiring ritish English, but I was told (by my sister-in-law the Beamted teacher) that those days are gone. Interesting that they are not.
Btw, 32 years ago I took a teacher to the principal for teaching what he said was correct, but which I said wasn't: I would have no problem doing that as an adult.
Am I learning German aggressiveness, or what?

Gardner said...

@G in Berlin.
yes, there is something to be said for speaking up when there is a problem. That is true. We've tried a bit of both. It's always a balance.

Katinka said...

Hello :) I don't know how I got here but I thought I'd leave a comment and say hello :) I'm German and my boyfriend is American. We are trying to figure out where we wanna live. It's interesting to see how Americans feel about Germany :) Happy Tuesday!

Zekarias said...

Hello brother Gardner,

Long time! How are you and your family? Praise the Lord we are doing fine. Give my best to the family! And send me updates.

Yours,
Amare

Gardner said...

@Katinka - thanks for the kind words. Best of luck in your choice of countries.

@Amare - great to hear from you. I wish you and your family the Lord's blessings.